Page Title

VA Training

The VA offers flight training benefits to those who want to advance their pilot qualifications and ratings. 
     Pre-Requisite and Required Information:
You must hold a private pilots license, a current Second Class FAA medical certification for the training needed, a copy of your VA Certificate of Eligibility, a Government issued ID, Birth Certificate or current Passport. Also required is a current residential address, phone number, E-mail address and social security number. 
     Certificate of Eligibility (COE):
A certificate of eligibility will indicate what percentage of benefits you are eligible for. You will need to apply on line for your COE and could take up 30 days to receive a paper copy once your application is approved. Visit the Veteran Online Application page at to apply. If you have any additional questions contact the VA Office at 1-888-442-4551 to speak with an Education Case Manager.
     Post 9/11 Eligibility:
The VA considers an academic year to be from 1 Aug. to 31 Jul. and for the 2014-15 academic period, a maximum $11,562.86 for those who are approved for 100% benefits. Any reduction in that percentage will be on the pilot seeking training. The VA wil not give you more than the maximum per academic year. If you finish an advanced pilot rating early, you will not be given more funds to start another rating, you can use the remaining balance. It is advisable to start and complete training within an academic year.
     Montgomery GI Bill:
The montgomery GI Bill will pay for 60% of flight training. Again the remaining 40% needs to be paid at the time of training is done.
     Check Rides & Written Testing:
In order for the VA to reimburse you for the costs you must fill out a reimbursement form VBA-22-0803 ont he VA website. This form must be completed by you and the examiner issuing the check ride or test. You must take all receipts and the form, relating to the check ride or test along with your new airman certificate and send a copy to the appropiate VA regional office its your enrollment information to VA.. 
Types of Assistance:
Rotary wing •. 
B747-400 •. 
Dual engine &bull. 
Flight engineer. . 
Available Benefits and Eligibility :
Participation requirements are the same for all GI Bill programs, but the payment amount varies depending on the GI Bill program and flight school. Payment Amounts Under the Montgomery GI Bill or Reserve Educational Assistance Program. If you are training under the Montgomery GI Bill or REAP we will reimburse you for 60 percent of the approved charges. View payment information by benefit program. Payment Amounts Under the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Payments for flight training vary based on which type of flight training course and what kind of school you are enrolled in: • If you are enrolled in a degree program that consists of flight training at a public institution of higher education you can be reimbursed up to the public school in-state cost of the training and receive a monthly housing allowance and books-and-supplies stipend. • If you are enrolled in a degree program that consists of flight training at a private institution of higher education you can be reimbursed up to the full cost of the training or the national maximum (currently $19,198.31) per academic year, whichever is less. You may also receive a monthly housing allowance and books-and-supplies stipend. See if your school participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program, which may apply for those enrolled in degree programs. • If you are enrolled in a vocational flight training program you can be reimbursed the lesser of these two costs in effect the day you began training in your flight course 1. Full cost of training 2. Annual maximum amount of training (see annual maximum amount) You will not receive a housing allowance or the books-and-supplies stipend. The maximum amount available for reimbursement depends on the academic year you begin training. For example, youre enrolled in a dual-engine certification course that costs $15,000 on Nov. 1, 2012. You can receive a maximum of $10,330 for that course and any other flight training programs leading to your dual-engine certification or other certificationthat begin before Aug. 1, 2013. Additional flight training courses that begin on or after Aug. 1, 2013, are subject to a new annual limit. Remember, these amounts could be further limited by your eligibility percentage.. 
Other Factors to Consider. :
This type of assistance is not available under the Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance program. Pilot Training Providers Pilot training is available on-site at most airports, either through an FAA-certificated (approved) pilot school* or through other training providers. An approved school may be able to provide a greater variety of training aids, dedicated facilities, and more flexibility in scheduling. A number of colleges and universities also provide pilot training as a part of their curricula. *FAA-approved pilot schools are certificated in accordance with Title 14, Code of Federal Regulations part 141 . Enrollment in an FAA-approved pilot school usually ensures a high quality of training. Approved schools must meet prescribed standards with respect to equipment, facilities, personnel, and curricula. However, individual flight instructors and training companies that are not certificated by the FAA as "pilot schools" may also offer high quality training, but find it impractical to qualify for FAA certification. Another difference between training provided by FAA-approved pilot schools and other providers is that fewer flight hours are required to be eligible for a pilot certificate when the training is received through an approved school. The flight hour requirement for a private pilot certificate is normally 40 hours, but may be reduced to 35 hours when training with an approved school. However, since most people require 60 to 75 hours of training, this difference may be insignificant. Check for FAA-approved pilot school locations online, or contact your local FSDO for training providers in your area. Choosing A Training Provider You must make your own decision on where to obtain flight training. Once you have decided on a general location, you might want to make a checklist of things to look for in a training provider. By talking to pilots and reading articles in flight magazines, you can make your checklist and evaluate different options. Your choice of a provider might depend on whether you are planning on obtaining a recreational or private certificate or whether you intend to pursue a career as a professional pilot. Another consideration is whether you will train part-time or full-time. Do not make the mistake of making your determination based on financial concerns alone. The quality of training you receive is very important. Prior to making a final decision, visit the provider you are considering and talk with management, instructors, and students. Evaluate the items on the checklist you developed and then take some time to think things over before making your decision. After you have decided where you will learn to fly and have made the necessary arrangements, you are ready to start your training. An important fact: ground and flight training should be obtained as regularly and frequently as possible. This assures maximum retention of instruction and the achievement of proficiency with the least expenditure of time and money.


6:00PM Thursday, November 12, 2020

at Eglin Yacht Club